Under FA Regulations, football debts are defined as those costs where actual monies have been expanded arising directly from football activity and as such would include:
- Match Costs (e.g. match fees)
- League Costs (e.g. repair to cups etc)
- Fines from discipline cases (cautions, dismissals, misconduct charges)
- Playing exepenses (e.g. pitch hire)
The following are not considered to be football debts:
- Kit/ Equipment
- Club subscriptions
- Signing on fees
- Internal Club fines (except for those imposed as a result of discipline cases)
- Fund Raising schemes
- End of season trip costs
Full details of the Football Debt Recovery Scheme can be found attached at the bottom of this page in the documents section.
There are strict timelines and criteria under which football debts can be chased and Wiltshire County FA are unable to deal with any debts that do not conform with FA regulations. We therefore recommend that all Clubs familiarise themselves with the procedures, the key points of which are highlighted below:
It is incumbent of the creditor (i.e the club) to take reasonable steps to revover the debt before requesting Wiltshire County FA to take action. Reasonable steps should include:
- Writing to the player to inform him of the monies owed and keeping all records of such requests.
- Not playing the player as soon as it becomes obvious that there is an issue with recovering monies.
Attached at the bottom of the page is a template letter that Clubs may wish to use to inform player of monies owed.
Wiltshire County FA should be approached as soon as it is clear that here is a problem. In all cases this should be within 28 days of formal payment being requested and 112 days of the debt being incurred.
Requesting Debt Recovery
When requesting Wiltshire County FA to assist with recovering a football debt from a player, the creditor must supply the following information:
- Full Name, Date of Birth and last known address of the individual responsible for the debt
- Evidence of the debt (e.g. discipline case references)
- Evidence of the efforts and communications made by the Club to recover the assistance of Wiltshire County FA with debt recovery.
If you are in doubt or have any questions regarding the Football Debt Recovery process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the discipline team on 01793 486047