Swindon Supermarine secure Senior Cup

Swindon Supermarine 2-1 Highworth Town

A crowd of 518 spectators headed to the County Ground last evening to watch Highworth Town FC and Swindon Supermarine FC in the Senior Cup Final 2017.

Swindon Supermarine edged out Highworth Town by two goals to one to secure their first Wiltshire Senior Cup title at the County Ground yesterday evening courtesy of strikes from Josh Parsons and Ashley Taylor.

Highworth Town will rue themselves unfortunate to not add to their existing five victories in the competition, having taken a deserved lead in the first half through Ashley Edenborough before a red card for forward Aysa Corrick de-railed their challenge for a late equaliser. The two sides were well matched during the opening exchanges, with Highworth's Edenborough coming closest after cutting in from the left and unleashing a shot which Supermarine keeper Connor Johns deflected around the post.

Johns would be called into question once again after quarter of an hour when a firm challenge by Corrick gifted Highworth possession inside Supermarine's area, but with the keeper scrambling back to his line his defence fired clear the resulting crossed pass. Supermarine pushed on for a goal of their own, with ex-Swindon Town forward Connor Waldon glancing a header straight into the hands of Kent Kauppinen, before Highworth caught Supermarine napping at the back from the resulting passage of play and Edenborough stole possession, composed himself and cooly slotted the ball into the bottom-left corner to give the slight underdogs the lead. Their advantage would last less than ten minutes. Brad Hooper was brought down on the edge of the area after a clever one-two, and the resulting free-kick was arched into the top-right corner by Josh Parsons past an outstretched Kauppinen to draw Supermarine level.

Both sides continued to push forward in search of a second, but were forced to settle for level pegging at the interval. Supermarine were dealt a blow at half-time with a knock for captain Aaron Johns necessitating a substitution, with Zak Westlake taking to the field in his place. The switch did little to damage their resolve as they took the lead four minutes later courtesy of a sweeping finish into the bottom-left corner by Ashley Taylor after an initial headed effort and the back post fell kindly. Aysa Corrick was shown a red card with twenty minutes to play for a dangerous tackle, with Highworth forcing a higher line and throwing on forward Nathan Gambling for one last roll of the dice. Though they were positive in their attempts to snatch a late equaliser, failure to hit the target gifted Supermarine their first win in the competition. Winning goalscorer Taylor was duly awarded the Man of the Match hono¬urs.

Match report courtesy of Damian Meaden