Independent Disciplinary Panel Members Sought
Wiltshire FA is seeking volunteers to become Independent Members to sit on its Football Disciplinary Commission panels.
We are looking for individuals to help ensure our football disciplinary commission panels are seen as independent and also diverse to better reflect the population in our county. Whether you are a coach, player, league official, club official, referee or simply a football fan with a passion for football governance, we would love to hear from you.
A Discipline Commission is convened to consider all football misconduct charges, whether the response to the charge is accepted or denied. A misconduct charge is issued where an incident is reported which does not fall under standard (red card) dismissal offences or is a serious offence.
For example, a participant can be charged with misconduct following being sent from the field of play, but before doing so directs abusive/insulting comments towards a match official.
There are two main types of hearing:
1 - Personal Hearing: Attended by the person charged together with witnesses for both the County FA and the person/Club charged
2 - Non-Personal Hearing: All evidence is presented to the Panel in paper/electronic format for the Commission to review; this is the most common type of hearing.
Personal Hearings Provide an opportunity for all evidence to be reviewed and any witnesses to be questioned and their evidence considered. The panel then make a decision based, on the balance of probability’s, as to whether the charge is proven or not, and if proven what sanction should be imposed within FA guidelines.
Discipline panels consist of a Secretary, two panel members and a Chairman, each with slightly different roles and responsibilities. We appoint at least one independent panel member to each personal hearing discipline panel, i.e. someone who has no other direct involvement with the County FA and is not a member of staff or a Council member.
How to Apply
If you are interested and would like to apply for a position on the panel, please complete the application form and return it by email with your current CV to Shane.Comb@wiltshirefa.com with the subject ‘Independent Panel Member Application’ Training will be given and all panel members will be required to undertake mandatory training and complete an assessment prior to being appointed to any panel.
Please note that whilst this is a voluntary role, reasonable travel expenses are paid. Wiltshire FA promotes inclusion and diversity and welcomes applications from everyone.
Discipline Panel - Role Profile
Independent Panel Member
• To assist at Discipline Commissions in accordance with FA Disciplinary procedures
• To assist the Chairman in the delivery of written reasons on cases as required by FA regulations
• Act as an advocate for Wiltshire FA, promoting a culture of respect; championing inclusion and anti‐discrimination across football
• To ask relevant and effective questions of those in attendance at hearings
• To assist in the sanctioning of participants and clubs using FA discipline guidelines in conjunction with other panel members
Behaviours (Personal characteristics)
• Ability to work collaboratively with others
• Working knowledge of football judicial processes (training will be provided)
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
• Understanding of grassroots football
• Patience and diplomacy
• Tact and confidentiality
• Confident communicatorapplication form